Bilingual (English/Spanish) Pre-K Teacher
The Bilingual Pre-K Teacher is part of the early childhood education team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving parents and their young children. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
Briya’s early childhood program serves children from six weeks through pre-kindergarten. In Briya’s dual-language Pre-K classes, three- and four-year-olds learn through a project-based curriculum. While children attend the early childhood program, their parents attend classes comprised of three highly integrated areas of study: English, parenting, and digital literacy. Briya also offers workforce development programs for advanced students who wish to pursue career-ready certifications.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
The Pre-K Teacher position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Planning and Teaching
- Provide high-quality daily instruction in the Pre-K (three and four) classroom. Plan and carry out learning experiences across developmental areas and content areas (language, cognitive, social-emotional and physical, as well as literacy, math, science, social studies, the arts, etc.). Support children’s concept and skill development through thoughtful, playful and engaging instruction throughout all parts of the daily schedule.
- Create and maintain a learning environment that is organized, safe, and responsive to children’s changing interests, abilities, and needs. Set up interest areas for children, modify and adapt them to relate to the current topic of study.
- Create and implement appropriate activities and interactions to advance children’s language and literacy skills in the language of instruction. Follow a bilingual preschool model that helps children build a strong foundation in oral and written language.
- Guide children’s behavior in positive ways and strive to maintain a positive social atmosphere at all times. Use evidence-based strategies to support children’s social emotional development.
- Document objective observations of children on an ongoing basis and use them to inform instruction.
- Consult with teaching team to review student progress and share ideas and resources on an ongoing basis.
Family Support and Engagement
- Demonstrate understanding of and competency for family literacy by respecting parents as children’s first teachers. Actively engage families in children’s learning, collaborating with them to promote children’s development in all areas and support learning at home. Seek ways to build and strengthen connections with family members.
- Create reports to summarize information about children’s growth and development and share with families during informal meetings and scheduled parent conferences.
- Organize, with other school staff, the planning and implementation of PACT – Parent and Child Together time.
- Use home visits as opportunities to build or strengthen relationships with children and parents and provide activities and ideas to support children’s learning at home.
- Contribute to a culture of learning and reflection in the school by continuing to read and research information on best practices, striving to integrate research and professional development into daily practice.
- Evaluate instructional effectiveness and modify approaches based on feedback, reflection, and assessment.
- Embrace the mission, philosophy and core values of the school and strive to demonstrate them in daily practice.
A successful Pre-K Teacher at Briya will excel in the following ways:
- Teamwork – Can work well in multidisciplinary team setting with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds and experiences. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of the team above own interests, and supports colleagues’ and students’ efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills –Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is able to build and sustain positive, productive relationships. Solves conflicts in cooperative manner; assumes accountability for own actions; and keeps emotions under control in a fast-paced, team-intensive environment.
- Communication Skills – Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Has a strong commitment to diversity, with respect and sensitivity to cultural and educational differences. Understands cultural and linguistic barriers to education and has experience overcoming these for student success.
- Flexibility – Can adjust personal schedule to participate in weekend and/or evening school events as needed. Instructors commit to long hours of work when necessary to meet the needs of Briya’s students.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through dedication to student retention, support of new family recruitment, careful classroom budgeting, and cost-conscious expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
The Bilingual Pre-K Teacher must have the following knowledge, skills and/or abilities.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Early Childhood or related field
- Bilingual in Spanish and English, including strong written and oral Spanish, required.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with young children.
Bilingual – English/Spanish
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.