Adult Education Assistant (Part-Time)
Adult Education Assistants are part of the adult education team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
The core adult education program is comprised of three highly integrated areas of study: English, parenting, and digital literacy. The curriculum prepares students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to navigate their community as effective parents, employees, and citizens. Our integrated ESL-DL-Child Development adult education classes are taught by a Lead Teacher and an Assistant Teacher. Briya offers a learning environment with a variety of technology available to enhance daily lessons and activities. Briya also offers high quality early education for children 0-5 and workforce development programs for advanced adult students who wish to pursue career-ready certifications.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
The Adult Education Assistant supports Lead Teachers in and out of class with the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Data and other administrative duties
- In collaboration with the Lead Teacher, ensure that students sign-in to track attendance. Communicate with the Lead Teacher any information from students about future or past absences. Work with Briya team to meet class enrollment and in-seat attendance targets.
- Provide input to the Lead Teacher for Student-Teacher Conferences to discuss the families’ goals and progress.
Collaborate with lead teachers to:
- Implement learning activities with individual students, small groups and the whole class.
- Circulate during class lessons to check student comprehension, identify further areas of need, provide encouragement and assist students who may require more support.
- Provide a safe and orderly learning environment in the classroom.
- If appropriate, Assistant teachers may have the opportunity to assume greater responsibility in leading in-class lesson and activities for students.
CASAS Test Administration
- Set up laptops, log in students and monitor testing 1-2 days per week as needed
- Collaborate with CASAS Tutoring Coordinator and CASAS Testing Coordinator to determine which students to test and which test to administer
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding testing materials and student scores
- Record student scores in electronic spreadsheet and results pages
- Assist in utilizing classroom technology to enhance student education and further personal and professional goals through blended and online learning.
- Communicate with Briya IT Technicians in cases of technical support for the Lead Teacher
- Ensure proper use of classroom technology during class at all times (ie. No food or drink).
Collaboration – Meet formally once every other week and informally before or after class with Lead Teachers to:
- Discuss unit and daily lesson plans and reflect and assess class’s progress
- Discuss individual student concerns
- Report at each check-in meeting or by e-mail on the progress of the students they work with to the Lead Teacher
- Discuss teaching development
- Ensure class administrative duties are completed.
Student Support & Other Duties
- Refer students to Student Services Coordinator as needed.
- Assist with special events such as field trips, graduation and other school-based celebrations, as needed
- Work closely with Lead Teacher to identify areas of strength and weakness in the classroom and address these areas as needed.
- Increase ESL, digital literacy and child development skills and knowledge
A successful Assistant Teacher will demonstrate, or actively work towards demonstrating, the ten characteristics of an effective Briya teacher:
- Learner-Centered/Empowering – Facilitate a learner-centered classroom that empowers students.
- Effective Communicator – Communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and the wider community.
- Respectful/Build Trust/ Be Culturally Sensitive – Be respectful and culturally sensitive.
- Engaging/Dynamic/Creative – Engage students through dynamic and creative lessons while teaching English as a Second Language/Adult Education classes in a family literacy setting integrating ESL, computers, child development, and PACT (Parent & Child Together) instruction across components.
- Patient – Practice active patience in and out of the classroom.
- Collaborative/ Community Builder – Build community in the classroom and collaborate with colleagues to ensure that class components are integrated (ESL, DL, and CD).
- Compassionate /Warm/Supportive – Be compassionate and warmly supportive of students and colleagues.
- Knowledgeable/ Life-long Learner – Be knowledgeable of current best practices and implement in them in the classroom.
- Disciplined/ Self-Motivated – Demonstrate discipline and self-motivation at work.
- Flexible/ Adaptable/ Resilient – Be flexible, adaptable, and resilient.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through dedication to student retention, support of new family recruitment, careful classroom budgeting, and cost-conscious expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
The Assistant Teacher must have the following knowledge, skills and/or abilities.
Education and/or Experience –
- High school diploma and interest in the field of education are required.
- Teaching experience with low-literacy adult language learners or adult ESL students preferred. Tutoring or student teaching experience is also applicable.
- Excellent communication skills in English required and Spanish preferred. Amharic, Tigrinya, French, and/or Arabic also highly valued.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Windows. Comfort with, or ability to learn, Smart Board Technologies, Google Classroom, Google Apps for Education and online learning applications such as Kahoot, Quizlet, EdPuzzle, and Digital Stories.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment – Mostly in a typical office and classroom setting with quiet to moderate noise level.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.