Digital Literacy Instructor
Digital Literacy Instructors are part of the adult education team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving parents and their young children in Washington, DC. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
The core adult education program is comprised of three highly integrated areas of study: English, parenting, and digital literacy. The digital literacy curriculum helps students acquire competency with basic personal technology all the way through mastery of more complex tools like the Google Business suite and video production. Briya also offers workforce development programs for advanced students who wish to pursue career-ready certifications.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
Digital Literacy Instructors are classroom teachers, technology integrators, and community builders. The Digital Literacy Instructor position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other instructors and coordinators to develop daily technology lesson plans that integrate components of ESL and parenting. Plans will follow best practices in instructional design by including clear objectives, instructional activities with differentiated instruction, and assessments that are appropriate to the skill level, needs, and interests of the students in the program.
- Following the Technology Standards & Curriculum, ensure coursework supports acquisition of basic skills such as typing and mouse skills, utilizing diverse technology platforms including computers, tablets, and educational software. Computer classes must cover introductory use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Windows, Google Apps for Education, Internet, and E-mail.
- Incorporate a variety of technologies into instruction including technologies used in work settings, such as photocopiers, scanners, and fax machines; and technologies used in personal settings such as tablets, cell phone/telephone applications (e.g. voicemail, texting, camera, and videos), and digital/video cameras.
- Design authentic learning experiences that develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be effective workers, parents/family members, and community members/citizens.
- Teach daily digital literacy and practical technology classes.
- Provide quality instruction that fosters an academic learning climate, actively supports teaching and learning, and implements the Technology Standards & Curriculum with fidelity.
- Support implementation of the ESL and Parenting/PACT curricula within the digital literacy classroom. This curriculum focuses on working with families to identify their strengths and provides strategies to reach their goals. The curriculum also encourages parent participation in their children’s education.
- Utilize effective teaching strategies that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process. Meet the needs of students at risk of academic failure or students not making reasonable progress toward achieving school and personal goals; this may include one-on-one support, pull-out classes in other languages, and referrals to Student Services.
- Provide a safe and orderly learning environment in the classroom.
- Maintain the computer labs and an inventory of information and technology equipment (hardware and software) in partnership with the IT site technician; tasks include storage, maintenance, and charging of student laptops and management of printing supplies for student projects.
Student Support & Other Duties
- Provide information and referrals for families regarding social, health, legal, and educational resources and opportunities available in the area. Refer students to Student Services Coordinator as needed.
- Assist with student recruitment, student registrations, and special events such as graduation and other school-based celebrations.
- Participate in all required staff meetings, trainings, and retreats.
A successful Digital Literacy Instructor will excel in the following ways:
- Teamwork – Can work well in multidisciplinary team setting with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds and experiences. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of the team above own interests, and supports colleagues’ and students’ efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills –Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is able to build and sustain positive, productive relationships. Solves conflicts in cooperative manner; assumes accountability for own actions; and keeps emotions under control in a fast-paced, team-intensive environment.
- Communication Skills – Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Has a strong commitment to diversity, with respect and sensitivity to cultural and educational differences. Understands cultural and linguistic barriers to education and has experience overcoming these for student success.
- Flexibility – Can adjust personal schedule to participate in weekend and/or evening school events as needed. Instructors commit to long hours of work when necessary to meet the needs of Briya’s students.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through dedication to student retention, support of new family recruitment, careful classroom budgeting, and cost-conscious expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
Digital Literacy Instructors must have the following knowledge, skills and/or abilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Teaching experience with low-literacy adult language learners preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English required and Spanish preferred. Amharic, Tigrinya, French, and/or Arabic also highly valued.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Classroom Technology – Comfort with, or ability to learn, Windows 10 OS, Smart Notebook and Smart Board, Document Camera, Lenovo Laptops, iPads, Google Apps for Education, and Wix (Website Editor). Online learning applications include, but are not limited to, Kahoot, Quizlet, EdPuzzle, Digital Stories, and Google Classroom.
Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment – Mostly in a typical classroom or office setting with quiet to moderate noise level. Enrollment at Briya PCS is typically between 20-40 students per class.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here.