Director of Operations
The Director of Operations leads the Facilities, Information Technology, Security and Events teams, and serves as the Human Resources liaison at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
At Briya, adults acquire English, digital literacy, and parenting skills, with some continuing on to the school’s workforce development programs. At the same time, their young children attend Briya’s high-quality early childhood program.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services. At three of its four campuses, Briya is co-located with Mary’s Center, and many Briya students are recruited through referrals from Mary’s Center staff.
The Director of Operations contributes to Briya’s success by playing a leading administrative role at the school. The Director is responsible for the following core functions:
- School Operations and related processes that ensure the safe, reliable function of all 4 facilities in support of Briya’s education programs, including management of all facilities and security staff and contractors.
- Information Technology, ensuring the IT team is prepared to meet all technology systems and equipment needs to deliver on the school’s annual and long-term goals.
- Human Resources, working closely as a liaison with Mary’s Center which is contracted to perform Human Resources management for the school.
- Planning and execution of school events and management of events staff.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Leadership & Administration
- As a member of the school’s leadership team, play an active role in key administrative processes to support the growth and success of Briya:
- Play a leadership role in the school’s strategic and annual planning and budgeting processes.
- Contribute to short and long-term program planning, especially providing guidance and recommendations in operational matters.
- Regularly review and stay abreast of key metrics for the school, including but not limited to family needs and satisfaction, program goals across areas, best practices research, funder requirements. Incorporate this understanding into strategic recommendations and plans.
- Embrace and model the school’s consensus decision-making approach when making policy and program decisions.
- Facilitate decision-making with the school’s staff and students around timely needs and concerns for the school.
- Develop operational systems, processes and policies in support of Briya’s mission and organizational goals to maximize outcomes and program effectiveness at the school. Specifically, in partnership with the leadership team, support management reporting, information flow and management, business process, and organizational planning. Build system and process structures in collaboration with end users, communicate the roll-out, and support team implementation.
- Organize and facilitate leadership team and staff meetings, including meeting communications, agenda preparation, room set-up/reservation, and compilation of powerpoint presentations.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings, trainings and retreats, preparing and presenting operations updates as needed.
Oversee all facilities needs across four school sites. Monitor budgets and approve contracts for all facilities. Recommend enhancements to facilities to better meet staff and student needs. Facilities management responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct the maintenance of all school facilities and properties by setting and executing all maintenance priorities.
- Oversee the functioning of all building systems including mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and waste management.
- Plan for maintaining capital-intensive building systems, meeting building and site compliance requirements and fulfilling lease requirements.
- Perform regular preventative maintenance walk-throughs with custodial staff to identify and prioritize maintenance issues that need to be addressed.
- Manage routine maintenance requests and an upkeep schedule; ensure maintenance, janitorial, and grounds/landscape services are properly carried out.
- Define and coordinate all aspects of facilities projects to meet evolving school needs.
- Set and maintain aesthetic standards for common areas.
- Maintain and replace building/site signage as needed.
- Manage maintenance staff and vendors; oversee contractors involved in facilities projects and delivery of services.
- Model proactive attention to maintenance issues and ensure staff are trained to be responsive and timely in addressing maintenance needs and concerns.
- Ensure building operations comply with all local zoning laws and regulations.
- Write and uphold all shared space agreements; oversee coordination of usage and compliance to agreements.
- Liaise with partner organizations around facilities management, facilitating regular meetings with Mary’s Center (including Quarterly Risk Management, Safety Committee, Managers & Directors, IT), Community Purchasing Alliance, Mamie D. Lee, and Fort Totten Trio.
Procurement & Repairs
- Coordinate annual purchases of furniture; recommend and approve orders.
- Manage ongoing procurement of IT equipment and facilities supplies for the school (additional details below in IT).
Emergency Preparedness & Campus Safety
- Develop campus safety policies and procedures, manage security staff and contractors, and ensure adherence to policies and procedures across sites.
- Complete plans for Emergency Response at all sites; update ESA website for compliance with DC’s requirements, and ensure supplies are available at all sites for emergencies.
- Ensure emergency preparedness across all sites by conducting all drills and staff trainings in emergency plans and procedures.
- Be on call to lead through emergency situations at Briya, which may occur outside of regular school hours.
Information Technology Management
- Oversee the work of the IT team to ensure a customer service-oriented approach to keeping all school technology in functioning order.
- Ensure team responds to help desk requests in a timely and productive manner.
- Ensure hardware, software, and related supplies are current and functioning.
- Create and oversee systems that ensure optimal supply, delivery, function, and fiscal management of IT-related products, including annual purchases.
- Coordinate and communicate between departments (IT, HR, Facilities, Finance) to ensure supplies are readily available across all sites as needed.
- Ensure IT staff effectively coordinates equipment repair and replacement.
- Guide planning and forecasting for the school’s IT needs, supporting the development of long-range plans that ensure the best technical solutions to the school’s education and administrative needs.
- Develop and oversee technology budgets that leverage school funding effectively to provide the best possible IT solutions within the school’s financial means.
Human Resources Management
- Briya contracts with Mary’s Center to perform core Human Resources functions on behalf of the school. The Director of Operations’ Human Resources manages Human Resources with responsibilities that include:
- Serve as liaison to Mary’s Center’s Human Resources department to manage ongoing Human Resources needs for Briya.
- Oversee the implementation of Human Resources systems and procedures at Briya. Advise supervisors on Human Resources matters as needed.
- In partnership with school leadership, develop staff evaluation procedures and train and support staff on their implementation. Specifically,
- Coordinate annual performance evaluation of all staff.
- Advise supervisors on Human Resource issues.
- Oversee probationary process, including tracking notification and receipt of paperwork and other timely processes.
- Develop and revise evaluation procedures and related forms, in partnership with other school leaders.
- Create and manage a streamlined process for recruitment, hiring and orientation.
- Serve as an advisor to the Executive Director on all personnel matters.
- Perform additional Human Resources activities as directed by the Executive Director.
- In partnership with other school leaders, set strategy for school events, including but not limited to student celebrations (ex. graduations, holidays), staff celebrations (ex. potlucks, holidays), and stakeholder events (ex. community partner, funder, and special Board events).
- Manage and partner with the Events Coordinator in executing events, including but not limited to catering, decorations, facilities set-up and clean-up, premiums and awards, program development, signage and materials, entertainment, and performances.
- The Director of Operations manages the following (departments/direct reports):
- Facilities Manager (oversees facilities team and contractors)
- Security and Operations Specialist (oversees security contractors)
- IT Manager (oversees IT team)
- Events and Field Trip Coordinator
- Establish management structures to ensure accountability with direct reports. Establish work schedules and delegate tasks as needed. Supervise, monitor, and evaluate employee performance; write and deliver annual reviews.
- Work with Executive Director to determine salary increases and job title changes as appropriate.
Finance & Budget
- Allocate budgeted department funds (Facilities, Human Resources, Events, and Communications) to priority initiatives; monitor and approve department spending; regularly review financial reports for departments and adjust spending and priorities to ensure teams stay within budget.
- Ensure teams submit expense reports in a timely and complete manner, including receipts for expenditures on the Briya credit card.
A successful Director of Operations will excel in the following ways:
- Teamwork – Can work well in multidisciplinary team setting with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds and experiences. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, put success of the team above own interests, and support colleagues’ and students’ efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills – Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is able to build and sustain positive, productive relationships. Solves conflicts in cooperative manner; assumes accountability for own actions; and keeps emotions under control in a fast-paced, team-intensive environment. Able to use tact, discretion, and diplomacy in working with all students, clients, partners, and the public.
- Communication Skills – Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Has a strong commitment to diversity, with respect and sensitivity to cultural and educational differences. Understands cultural and linguistic barriers to education and has experience overcoming these for student success.
- Flexibility – Can adjust personal schedule to participate in weekend and/or evening school events as needed. Director of Operations needs to be on-call for emergency issues at the school, which may occur outside of regular business hours.
- Management Skills – Highly organized and able to manage multiple initiatives and priorities simultaneously. Able to engage and motivate staff and volunteers in ongoing recruitment initiatives.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial & Budget Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through dedication to facilities maintenance and management, smart procurement and implementation of technology, supportive HR policies and procedures, effective events management, and overall cost-conscious planning and expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required for the Director of Operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience –
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Demonstrated track record of operations and facilities management, human resources management, and general staff management
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in a related position
- English proficiency; Spanish proficiency strongly desired (other languages a plus)
- Ability to work independently and without immediate supervision
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
- Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment – Primarily works in a typical office and classroom setting with quiet to moderate noise level. Ability to regularly travel around Washington, D.C. using personal and/or public modes of transportation to work at all Briya locations. Occasionally needs to maintain work hours outside of Mon-Fri 9-5, including evenings and weekends, to manage events and facilities operations.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.