Director of Operations
The Director of Operations leads the Facilities, Information Technology, Security and Events teams, and serves as the Human Resources liaison at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming. The Director of Operations contributes to Briya’s success by playing a leading administrative role at the school.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Leadership & Administration
- As a member of the school’s leadership team, play an active role in key administrative processes to support the growth and success of Briya:
- Play a leadership role in the school’s strategic and annual planning and budgeting processes.
- Contribute to short and long-term program planning, especially providing guidance and recommendations in operational matters.
- Regularly review and stay abreast of key metrics for the school, including but not limited to family needs and satisfaction, program goals across areas, best practices research, funder requirements. Incorporate this understanding into strategic recommendations and plans.
- Develop operational systems, processes and policies in support of Briya’s mission and organizational goals to maximize outcomes and program effectiveness at the school. Specifically, in partnership with the leadership team, support management reporting, information flow and management, business process, and organizational planning. Build system and process structures in collaboration with end users, communicate the roll-out, and support team implementation.
Oversee all facilities needs across four school sites. Monitor budgets and approve contracts for all facilities. Recommend enhancements to facilities to better meet staff and student needs. Facilities management responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct the maintenance of all school facilities and properties by setting and executing all maintenance priorities.
- Oversee the functioning of all building systems including mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and waste management.
- Plan for maintaining capital-intensive building systems, meeting building and site compliance requirements and fulfilling lease requirements.
- Ensure building operations comply with all local zoning laws and regulations.
- Write and uphold all shared space agreements; oversee coordination of usage and compliance to agreements.
- Liaise with partner organizations around facilities management.
Procurement & Repairs
- Coordinate annual purchases of furniture; recommend and approve orders.
- Manage ongoing procurement of IT equipment and facilities supplies for the school (additional details below in IT).
Emergency Preparedness & Campus Safety
- Develop campus safety policies and procedures, manage security staff and contractors, and ensure adherence to policies and procedures across sites.
- Complete plans for Emergency Response at all sites; update ESA website for compliance with DC’s requirements, and ensure supplies are available at all sites for emergencies.
- Ensure emergency preparedness across all sites by conducting all drills and staff trainings in emergency plans and procedures.
- Be on call to lead through emergency situations at Briya, which may occur outside of regular school hours.
Information Technology Management
- Oversee the work of the IT team to ensure a customer service-oriented approach to keeping all school technology in functioning order.
- Guide planning and forecasting for the school’s IT needs, supporting the development of long-range plans that ensure the best technical solutions to the school’s education and administrative needs.
- Develop and oversee technology budgets that leverage school funding effectively to provide the best possible IT solutions within the school’s financial means.
Human Resources Management
- Briya contracts with Mary’s Center to perform core Human Resources functions on behalf of the school. The Director of Operations’ Human Resources manages Human Resources with responsibilities that include:
- Serve as liaison to Mary’s Center’s Human Resources department to manage ongoing Human Resources needs for Briya.
- Oversee the implementation of Human Resources systems and procedures at Briya. Advise supervisors on Human Resources matters as needed.
- In partnership with other school leaders, set strategy for school events, including but not limited to student celebrations, staff celebrations, and stakeholder events.
- Manage and partner with the Events Coordinator in executing events, including but not limited to catering, decorations, facilities set-up and clean-up, premiums and awards, program development, signage and materials, entertainment, and performances.
Finance & Budget
- Allocate budgeted department funds to priority initiatives; monitor and approve department spending; regularly review financial reports for departments and adjust spending and priorities to ensure teams stay within budget.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required for the Director of Operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience –
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Demonstrated track record of operations and facilities management, human resources management, and general staff management
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in a related position
- English proficiency; Spanish proficiency strongly desired (other languages a plus)
- Ability to work independently and without immediate supervision
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
- Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment – Primarily works in a typical office and classroom setting with quiet to moderate noise level. Ability to regularly travel around Washington, D.C. using personal and/or public modes of transportation to work at all Briya locations. Occasionally needs to maintain work hours outside of Mon-Fri 9-5, including evenings and weekends, to manage events and facilities operations.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.