Director of Student Recruitment & Registration- Job Description
The Director of Recruitment & Registration leads the Recruitment & Registration team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services. At three of its four campuses, Briya is co-located with Mary’s Center, and many Briya students are recruited through referrals from Mary’s Center staff.
The Director of Recruitment & Registration is responsible for leading a team to successfully recruit and register student families to meet Briya’s annual year-round enrollment goals for both the two-generation and workforce development programs. The Director leverages a number of key resources to achieve enrollment goals: referral processes within Mary’s Center, Briya’s active Student Ambassador program, Briya’s network of partners across D.C., and the Briya outreach and registration teams and its staff partners.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategic Planning and Evaluation:
- Create strategic and operational recruitment plans with leadership to ensure that all adult and early childhood classes meet enrollment numbers before the October count deadline and at subsequent enrollment checks throughout the year. Develop a cycle of recruitment campaigns, leveraging partners and Briya-based opportunities, to keep recruitment activity high and productive at key times of year.
- Work closely with the Director of Adult Education to stay informed about student retention rates; participate in building strategies to increase retention. Adjust recruitment and outreach plans throughout the year in response to registration and retention needs, always working to keep Briya at 85% enrollment or greater during the school year.
- Evaluate registration, enrollment, and retention reports together with the Registration Manager, Student Recruitment & Outreach Manager, Director of Adult Education, Senior Director of Early Childhood Strategy, and Executive Director to identify trends and necessary tactical shifts to maintain maximum enrollment.
- In partnership with the Director of Charter Data/Administrative Manager, build and utilize data collection systems to evaluate the effectiveness of recruitment efforts; train staff and volunteers in the use of these systems and lead team accountability in prioritizing this effort.
- Prioritize and evaluate the effectiveness of recruitment and outreach tactics on an ongoing basis, according to impact and resource management; lead team evaluations of recruitment activities annually.
- Determine communication needs (flyers, signage, etc.) and work with communications team to execute.
Management of Direct Reports
- Manage Student Recruitment & Outreach Manager, Registration Manager, and Workforce Student Recruitment and Registration Coordinator.
- Guide and direct team priorities to result in successful annual enrollment in Briya programs.
- Conduct regular individual status meetings, team meetings, and annual reviews for each direct report.
- Nurture the professional growth and development of each team member to build on their strengths and improve the outcomes of the team.
- Responsible for setting partnership strategy across sectors – DC Public Schools (including Charters); Non-profits, Churches, and Community-Based Organizations; Mary’s Center; and Businesses. Oversee all engagement, track results, evaluate effectiveness, and adjust strategies and tactics to further Briya’s success.
- Determine partnership accountability within the Recruitment & Registration team and including Student Services, who interface with the many of the same partners across the city. Establish a system for tracking activities and ensuring a professional level of engagement across teams so partners feel their work with Briya is unified and coordinated. Coordinate closely with Student Services Coordinator to ensure mutually supportive outreach efforts, track engagement, and share contacts and opportunities. Maintain a joint database of current contact information.
- Manage email marketing outreach to partners. Create a promotional strategy and schedule for the year; manage MailChimp database and alternate MailChimp, personal, and evite engagement; write brief emails; work with communications who will provide template with photography and a copy edit before each email is sent.
- Determine roles and responsibilities for partnership management and events (listed below) within the Recruitment & Registration team, including personally taking on direct responsibility for several high-level partnerships.
DC Public Schools
- Build partnerships with local schools to recruit the parents of their students for Briya enrollment. Analyze school data to determine best partnership targets – geography, percentage English language learners, etc.
- With the Manager, build close relationships with schools’ ELL student support staff, Parent Coordinators, and Social Services staff to identify opportunities for recruitment and develop direct referral processes. Design special events to introduce school staff to Briya’s educational programs, including attending their staff meetings and hosting open houses at Briya.
- Support Manager, through oversight and direct participation, with attendance at school events such as back to school nights, school open houses, Parent-Teacher conference days, Principal Coffees, and other special events. Coordinate flyering at drop-off and pick-up when appropriate.
- Oversee recruitment and registration team’s facilitation of on-site registrations at schools.
Non-profits, Churches, and Community-Based Organizations
- Cultivate relationships with non-profit, church, and community-based organizations who serve English language learning families. Look for opportunities to create referral systems, promote Briya’s programs, offer sampling workshops, etc.
- Design special events to introduce partners to Briya’s educational programs.
- Support Manager, through oversight and direct participation, with attendance at community events (flyering or with formal tables) to promote Briya, such as festivals, cultural events, job and resource fairs, etc.
- Capitalize on recruitment opportunities at Mary’s Center – with a particular focus on supporting sustainable referral systems between the two organizations.
- Partner with Mary’s Center marketing team to design and run promotional referral campaigns with Mary’s Center staff at key enrollment times.
- Meet regularly with Mary’s Center’s marketing team to develop leverage cross-promotional opportunities to recruit more student families to Briya. Utilize waiting room monitors, use of flyers and promotional materials, etc. to raise awareness about Briya.
- With Manager, collaborate closely with Mary’s Center to cross-promote medical, social service, and education programs at special events throughout D.C.
- Oversee team’s management of weekly registration and information tables at DC clinics, staffed by outreach team.
- Lead team in building relationships with local businesses frequented by English language learners and prospective student families. Look for opportunities to post outreach materials, distribute flyers, create or attend special events, and partner in creative ways to attract new students.
Recruitment Events & Initiatives
- Design and execute a range of year-round recruitment initiatives and events based on data from previous activity, evolving student need, and timely opportunities with partners.
- Support the Manager’s work to create and manage recruitment events and initiatives:
- Leverage current student loyalty by creating initiatives that incent student referrals.
- Leverage the Student Ambassador program in support of recruitment efforts. Participate in trainings and ambassador meetings as needed.
- Plan and facilitate open houses, partner tour days, prospective student visiting days, and other Briya-based recruitment events. Work closely with Events Coordinator, education staff and registration team to design engaging experiences that give visitors a hands-on sample of Briya’s unique two-generation and workforce development programs, including a new approach to student preview classes.
- Partnership with communications to create materials that support recruitment efforts.
- Meet regularly with registration, events, and communication staff to ensure collaboration and efficient execution of initiatives.
- Oversee the registration team for the successful screening and registration of prospective Briya families. Ensure a detail-oriented, efficient, and student-friendly registration process, supporting staff to continually develop best practices that result in successful student enrollment.
- Continue to define and evolve the remote registration process (in pilot Spring 2020); support team in transition to remote family engagement, explore best practices from other organizations, and adapt process throughout the pilot to meet student and staff needs.
- Regularly review SIS reports with Recruitment Manager and Registration Manager to evaluate registration, enrollment and attendance data. Collaborate on data-driven adjustments to registration and recruitment activities.
- During high enrollment times (August-September), be prepared to back up registration staff when there is appointment overflow.
Finance, Budget, and Administration
- Allocate budgeted department funds to priority initiatives, monitor and approve department spending; regularly review financial reports for department and adjust spending and priorities to ensure team stays within budget.
- Ensure team submits expense reports in a timely and complete manner, including receipts for expenditures on the Briya credit card.
- Along with writing and delivering annual reviews for team members, work with Executive Director to determine salary increases and job title changes as appropriate.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings, trainings and retreats, preparing and presenting recruitment and outreach updates as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required for the Student Recruitment and Outreach Director. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Demonstrated track record of student recruitment and marketing, or related experience
- Experience building and sustaining strategic partnership
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in a related position
- English and Spanish proficiency (other languages a plus)
- Ability to work independently and without immediate supervision
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment – Part time in a typical office and classroom setting with quiet to moderate noise level. Ability to regularly travel around Washington, D.C. using personal and/or public modes of transportation to meet with partners and attend events with moderate to loud noise levels. Frequently maintains work hours outside of Mon-Fri 9-5, including evenings and weekends, to lead recruitment outreach and events.