Master Math Teacher and Coach
The Master Math Teacher and Coach is part of the adult education team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
The Master Math Teacher and Coach position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement math lesson plans that adhere to national standards and Briya curriculum. Plans will follow best practices in instructional design by including objectives, student centered instructional activities with differentiated instruction, and assessment, all of which are appropriate to the skill level, needs, and interests of the students in the program.
- Utilize effective strategies that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process, including integrating technology.
- Teach math in Adult Education classes
- Approximately 1 hour daily in a two-generation setting, and
- 3 hours 1 night per week as a component of Briya’s Child Development Associate program.
- Provide training and individual coaching so that teachers are able to effectively teach math to Briya learners at all skill levels.
- Following completion of NEDP advisor/assessor training, serve as a Briya National External Diploma Program (NEDP) advisor/assessor.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through careful budgeting and cost-conscious decision-making.
Work Environment: Mostly in a typical office setting with quiet to moderate noise level. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Must be available to work evening hours.
Physical Demands: Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To be considered for the position, an applicant must meet the following qualifications:
Education and/or Experience
- Master’s degree or certification in secondary education – math and 2 years of teaching or related experience and knowledge in the fields of adult education, math, special education, or Bachelor’s degree in math, education, special education, or related field and 8 years of teaching or related experience.
- Significant cross-cultural experience.
- Excellent communication skills in English required. Intermediate level Spanish preferred. Amharic, Tigrinya, French, and/or Arabic is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Windows. Comfort with, or ability to learn, Smart Board Technologies, Google Classroom, Google Apps for Education and online learning applications such as Kahoot, Quizlet, EdPuzzle, and Digital Stories.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.