Medical Assistant Program Coordinator
The Medical Assistant Program Coordinator is part of the adult education team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program that primarily serves immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative programming.
In the tuition-free Medical Assistant Program, students prepare for successful healthcare careers by gaining medical knowledge, clinical practice, and administrative skills in a collaborative environment. In addition, Briya coordinates students’ internships and externships and ensures students are prepared for the nationally recognized RMA exam.
Briya closely partners and co-locates with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, supporting students’ comprehensive needs and allowing for crossover between clinic and classroom.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Track and evaluate performance data, including: retention, job placement, graduate satisfaction, employer satisfaction, and student certification.
- Maintain accurate records in SIS and LMS in alignment with Briya’s strategic plan and AMT, Middle States, DC Public Charter School Board, OSSE AFE, WIOA
- Collect and analyze student evaluation data and adjust programming to ensure outcomes are met.
- Provide classroom instruction as needed.
- Coordinate skills nights activities
- Coordinate and provide opportunities for students to participate in study sessions and math and/or reading tutoring as needed.
- Ensure CASAS EFL goals are met through individual or whole class support
- Score student homework assignments and clinical assignments, provide feedback to students, and enter grades into the SIS.
- Provide regular updates to students on their progress. Provide student-teacher conferences three times a year to review items such as grades, attendance, behavioral skills, lab skills, and competency skills.
Professional Development Support
- Ensure student attendance and retention outcomes are met. Maintain student retention through academic counseling and connection to student social services, as needed.
- Deepen Briya’s support to alumni through the alumni newsletter
- Implement mentoring program
- Collaborate with Student Services and Transitions to promote career pathways opportunities such as enhance partnerships with area colleges (articulation agreements, guest lectures etc.)
- Collaborate with Transitions Coordinator in convening the employer advisory board semiannually.
- Oversee the development of partnerships with clinics, schools, hospitals, etc. where students can complete their externship. Oversee the selection process for where students will be placed. Check-in regularly with key staff and students concerning the internships and externships. Evaluate the internship/externship program getting feedback from key stakeholders and use input for program improvement.
- Serve as liaison between Briya and Mary’s Center staff.
- Oversee the internship and externship program.
- Ensure effective coordination and communication with the clinic externship contacts and the Nurse Managers is being provided.
- Ensure clinical rotation schedules are complete and frequent reminder notices are being sent to all parties for the upcoming internships.
- Ensure the clinical assignments are developed and reviewed with the students and staff prior to the internship.
- Identify and select key program instructors/guest speakers. Provide support to Medical Assistant Instructors and guest speakers.
- Organize and set agenda for team meetings with MA instructors.
- Create and make available professional development activities to MA instructors.
- Contribute to building a positive team spirit, put success of the team above own interests, support everyone’s efforts to succeed, work well in multidisciplinary team setting.
- Supervise MA administrative assistant
- Ensure classroom materials and equipment are provided.
- Ensure safety and sanitation of all labs, equipment and supplies.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work as a member of a team
- Commitment to develop and contribute to a community of educators
- Ability to teach classes in English, with preference for instructors who also have additional language skills in order to support students.
- Strong organizational skills
- Expertise in interpersonal and oral presentation/written communication skills.
- Effective in directing and evaluating student learning and laboratory performance and be prepared in education theory and techniques.
- Knowledge of healthcare industry and awareness of trends
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in sciences or related field
- Medical Assistant Certification
- 3-5 years of related practical work/clinical experience, preferably in a community health care center.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in ways that are interactive, project-based, and promote self-discovery and critical thinking.
Physical Demands – Regularly required to sit; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Work Environment – Mostly in a typical office and/or home setting with quiet to moderate noise level.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.