Bilingual (Spanish/English) Student Services Coordinator
Student Services Coordinators are part of the student services team at Briya Public Charter School — a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
At Briya, adults acquire English, digital literacy, and parenting skills, with some continuing on to the school’s workforce development programs. At the same time, their young children attend Briya’s high-quality early childhood program.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
Briya is unique not only because of its integration of adult and early childhood education but also because of its commitment to looking at student families holistically and assisting them in overcoming any barriers they face. At three of its four campuses, Briya is co-located with Mary’s Center, which provides Briya students with wraparound services including mental health care, dental care, social services, and WIC, as well as assistance accessing SNAP, TANF, and other social supports. Student Services Coordinators are key in ensuring adult students and their families gain access to services at Mary’s Center, as well as to services offered by other community partners.
The Student Services Coordinator position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Student Support (75%)
- Provide support to families with social service needs (in conjunction with education team and other staff members as appropriate).
- Problem-specific case management and direct assistance with the obstacles families face in accessing health care, public benefits, employment, education, housing, social services and legal services.
- Support families facing crisis situations such as domestic violence and homelessness.
- Provision of services in natural settings such as home, school, court, or other social services agencies as needed.
- Appropriate documentation of referrals and outcomes, including maintaining monthly statistics and providing reports as needed.
- Report incidents of child abuse and neglect and participation as an active member of the intervention team to assist families.
- Refer adult students and families to services at Mary’s Center and outside agencies. Serve as the liaison for students and service providers.
- Coordinate mental health services, including individual and group support for students, through Briya’s partnership with Mary’s Center.
- Develop ongoing relationships with Mary’s Center departments and community partners.
- Provide follow-up on referrals to Mary’s Center and partner organizations.
- Assist with student orientation tours of Mary’s Center.
- Share referral opportunities through regular posting on bulletin boards and staff communications.
- Keep referrals folder updated with agency/organization contact information.
- Document all contacts, referrals and other necessary information on a timely basis.
Student Events/Activities (25%):
- Collaborate with student services team and other staff to plan and implement special events, including resource fairs and presentations by guest speakers.
- Coordinate interpretation for special events and presentations by guest speakers.
- Collaborate with teachers to share resources with adult students through special presentations and announcements during classes.
- Meet regularly with site-based Student Council representatives to provide ongoing student leadership support and coaching.
- Support the preparation of Student Council meetings, including logistics and the development of leadership training activities.
- Collaborate with site-based coordinators to plan weekly site meetings.
- Coordinate school choice presentations and online application assistance.
- Assist in planning and coordination of family field trips, including library visits.
- Coordinate donations from Mary’s Center and the community. Includes identifying recipients and managing the distribution of various donations, such as food, basic material goods, holiday gifts, and seasonal items.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Student Services Director.
A successful Student Services Coordinator will excel in the following ways:
- Teamwork – Can work well in multidisciplinary team setting with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds and experiences. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, put success of the team above own interests, and support colleagues’ and students’ efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills – Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is able to build and sustain positive, productive relationships. Solves conflicts in cooperative manner; assumes accountability for own actions; and keeps emotions under control in a fast-paced, team-intensive environment.
- Communication Skills – Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Has a strong commitment to diversity, with respect and sensitivity to cultural and educational differences. Understands cultural and linguistic barriers to education and has experience overcoming these for student success.
- Flexibility – Can adjust personal schedule to participate in weekend and/or evening school events as needed. Instructors commit to long hours of work when necessary to meet the needs of Briya’s students. This position requires at least one evening per week.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through dedication to student retention, support of new family recruitment, careful classroom budgeting, and cost-conscious expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in social work, education, special education, or its equivalent
- At least three years of experience working in social services or education with immigrant communities
- Excellent communication skills in English and Spanish. Amharic, Tigrinya, French, and/or Arabic also highly valued.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills
Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment – Mostly in a typical office setting with quiet to moderate noise level.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please click here or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.